This website was created as an aid to people living in or visiting the state of Minnesota who are interested in horticulture and want to know more about the public gardens within the state. The website's author is Kathryn Ripke, Horticulture graduate student at the University of Minnesota. Each public garden site was visited and all garden photos presented were taken during these visits.
All information has been checked for accuracy, but public gardens are not static. Garden hours, fees and tour schedules can change at any time. Please confirm information when making plans.
Resources used to gather the information presented came from:
- Personal observations
- Conversations with garden personnel
- Brochures, pamphlets, visitor guides & other written information available at garden sites
- Various municipal and tourist materials
- Other websites (provided as hyperlinks throughout this site)
Written resources are as follows:
- Amundson, Michelle Lee, and Barbara Dahl Dahlin. Historic Mayowood Mansion: A Pictoral Guide. Olmstead Co. Historical Society, 2000.
- Barrett, Thomas M., ed. North American Horticulture: A Reference Guide Compiled by the American Horticulture Society . New York, NY: MacMillian Publishing Co.
- Conzen, Kathleen Neils. Germans in Minnesota. Minnesota Historical Press, 2003.
- Fourie, Ada. Their Roots Run Deep. (22 pg. book on Glensheen Mansion )
- Hellander, Martha E. The Wild Gardener: The Life and Selected Writings of Eloise Butler. St. Cloud , MN : North Star Press of St. Cloud Inc., 1992.
- Kennedy, Roger. Minnesota Houses. Minneapolis , MN : Dillion Press, 1967.
- Martin, Frank Egerton, ed. Valued Places: Landscape Architecture in Minnesota. ( Minnesota chapter of the American Society of Landscaping Architects) 2001.
- Minnesota Atlas & Gazetteer. Freeport, ME: DeLorme Mapping Co, 1990.
- Price, Susan Davis. Minnesota Gardens , An Illustrated History. Afton , MN : Afton Historical Press, 1995.
- Bernett, Jill, and Jason Patalonis. "Japanese Gardening Minnesota-Style." Minnesota Horticulturist . June/July 1996: 26-29.
- Felsen, Gregg. "Monumental Achievement." Mpls. St. Paul Magazine . May 2002: 81-86.
- Fischer, Adelheid. "Days of Vines and Roses." Mpls. St. Paul Magazine . June 1993: 50-53.
- Haapoja, Margaret. "A Paradise Close at Hand: Olcott Park Green House in Virginia, MN." Minnesota Horticulturalist . Mar. 1994: 25-27.
- Haapoja, Margaret. "A Superior Estate: The Gardens at Glensheen Mansion ." Minnesota Horticulturalist . Aug./Sept. 1993: 25-27.
- Hols, Marge. "A Downtown Treasure: An Arbor Garden Remembers One Woman's Passion." Mpls. St. Paul Magazine . May 1998: 57-58.
- Hols, Marge. "Perennially Appealing." Mpls. St. Paul Magazine . May 2000: 72-77.
- Leise, Michelle. "Open to the Public." Midwest Home & Garden . Feb./Mar. 2002: 52-55.
- Morawetz, Dorina. "A Modern-Day Physic Garden ." Minnesota Horticulturalist . May 1996: 28-30.
- Price, Susan. "The Jewel in the Crown." Minnesota Horticulturalist . Feb. 1995: 13-17.
- Price, Susan. "Rose Gardens ." Minnesota Horticulturalist . May 1992: 20-22.
- Price, Susan. "St. John's Revival." Minnesota Horticulturalist . Dec. 1996: 20-22.
- Query, Prudence C. "Minnesota Monet." Minnesota Horticulture . Aug./Sept. 1994: 24-25.
- Salas, Laura Purdie. "St. Cloud, Minnesota /Garden Spot on the River." The Star Tribune . 22 Sept. 1996 : G10.
- Herbst, Gordon. "Gardens of the Hubbard House & the Carriage House." The Blue Earth County Historian (a publication of the Blue Earth County Historical Society). Summer 2003: 4-6.